Thursday, January 7, 2010

How much do you live off of the world instead of Christ



As we take the time in prayer this week, ask the Holy Spirit to search your heart and reveal to you how you are relying on the world for security, significance and happiness. To prime the pump here are a few thoughts on it.
  1. If I have a good enough job or enough money in the bank then I will be secure during this recession
  2. If I lose some weight then I will feel better about myself
  3. If I get a compliment today on something I did or the way I look I will feel a sense of importance
  4. If others recognize the spiritual gifts that I have then I know that I am doing the right things for God
  5. If I can just get a new car/clothes/house etc. then I will be happy

We have been sucking off the worlds system for so long many of the things that we do become so subtle that it is not even noticeable. Sociologist call it the "plausibility structure", the puritans would call it "the vestiges of sin" or Paul in his letter to the Ephesians called it "the old man" - it is a conditioned way of living based on our past beliefs. It is crucial that we get with God, in prayer and allow Him to guide our conscience into the reality of our true condition, for years we have been deceived by the subtle lies of Satan that has stolen the very life of God (John 10:10). The "Christian" that does not get alone with God and allow the Life of God to live through them is only bluffing or playing at Christianity (ironically we get the word hypocrite from the theater).

2Co 4:4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Cleave to Christ knowing that satan, the god of this world, is out to destroy you and your faith. The deception and lies that satan wants you to believe are endless and usually fit right into your selfish way of life and many times come as good things (2Cor 11:14). Can you like Paul say:

Gal 6:14 But as for me, I will never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (look at the tense...past tense)

Is the world crucified to you? The answer is an absolute YES but even though it is you may not believe it and thus live in the prison of your false beliefs. Are you still dependent on others for significance, security and happiness.

  • There is a move of God in America today but not amongst the unsaved...It's amongst the redeemed who are determined by the grace of God to be part of the Bride and to be part of the Bride you have to be divorced from everything in the world. (Leonard Ravenhill)

1 comment:

Rod said...

That was a good article Dave. If we choose to follow Christ we have to set ourselves apart from the world and glory in Christ.