Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Am I Willing? - - - To serve

Before coming to Christ and casting ourselves down at the nail pierced feet, service to others was of little priority. Our purpose for living was to please self but when we receive our new nature (
2Co 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation; old things have passed away, and look, new things have come. )
and are sealed with the Holy Spirit and take upon us the name "Christian" we are prompted and moved to serve others. Wherein we were once consumed with our own interest now we are consumed with the building up and spiritual welfare of those that are "the least of among us"



Now if that does not define your "Christianity" there question must be asked and answered: Am I willing to serve as Christ served? Am I willing to pour my life out as an offering to God, for His glory, in the service of others. Christ gives us a specific warnings and promptings to go out and love and serve one another, the question remains: Am I willing?



Luk 10:27 He answered: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.



If you were able to test your thoughts, words and deeds how would you measure up to what has been called the two greatest commandments? I have heard it said many times that the Bible is so profound and so deep in its theology but at the same time the words of Jesus are so clear and concise. Do I love my neighbor as I love myself...probably not. I am always on my mind, what I will wear, what I will eat, what I have to do next, what my finances are dictating, what is on TV, what I have to do at church etc. Now Jesus didn't just tell us to love our neighbor but gave us examples of what that love and service would look like:

Luk 10:33 But a Samaritan on his journey came up to him, and when he saw the man, he had compassion.
Luk 10:34 He went over to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
Luk 10:35 The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, 'Take care of him. When I come back I'll reimburse you for whatever extra you spend.'


Joh 13:13 You call Me Teacher and Lord. This is well said, for I am.
Joh 13:14 So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.
Joh 13:15 For I have given you an example that you also should do just as I have done for you.
Joh 13:16 "I assure you: A slave is not greater than his master, and a messenger is not greater than the one who sent him.
Joh 13:17 If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.


We know these stories well and have probably heard them taught many times yet the greater question is how does my life look in light of the truth of God's Word. Am I a hypocrite? Professing to love Christ and His people and His creation but not putting feet to the faith I so abundantly profess? Do I care what my life looks like in view of Christ pouring His life out to show and be a living example of? I should care...it's of upmost importance:

Mat 25:41 Then He will also say to those on the left, 'Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the Devil and his angels!
Mat 25:42 For I was hungry and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink;
Mat 25:43 I was a stranger and you didn't take Me in; I was naked and you didn't clothe Me, sick and in prison and you didn't take care of Me.'


Do you believe the words of Jesus? Do you care enough to make a change today? Do you care enough to cleave to the Holy Spirit in contrition and ask for direction? Or are you too filled by the things of religion and the world to take the time to serve the one that you profess to love?

No comments: