Friday, November 28, 2008

What does God want?

As I was pondering the modern day church , which I have coined "modernachurchology", I was reminded of an exerpt from "The Normal Christian Life" by Watchman Nee written around 1938. I hope and pray that these words touch the hearts of the many people who read my blog.


Luk 11:28 But he (Jesus) said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it

The trouble about many Christians today is that they have an insufficient idea of what God
is asking of them. How glibly they say: `Lord, I am willing for anything.' Do you know that
God is asking of you your very life? There are cherished ideals, strong wills, precious
relationships, much- loved work, that will have to go; so do not give yourself to God unless
you mean it. God will take you seriously, even if you did not mean it seriously.


When the Galilian boy brought his bread to the Lord, what did the Lord do with it? He
broke it. God will always break what is offered to Him. He breaks what He takes, but after
breaking it He blesses and uses it to meet the needs of others. After you give yourself to the
Lord, He begins to break what was offered to Him. Everything seems to go wrong, and you
protest and find fault with the ways of God. But to stay there is to be no more than just a
broken vessel -- no good for the world because you have gone too far for the world to use
you, and no good for God either because you have not gone far enough for Him to use you.
You are out of gear with the world, and you have a controversy with God. This is the tragedy
of many a Christian.


My giving of myself to the Lord must be an initial fundamental act. Then day by day I
must go on giving to Him, not finding fault with His use of me but accepting with praise even
what the flesh revolts against.


I am the Lord's and now no longer reckon myself to be my own but acknowledge in
everything His ownership and authority. That it the attitude God requires, and to maintain it is
true consecration. I do not consecrate myself to be a missionary or a preacher; I consecrate
myself to God to do His will where I am, be it in school, office or kitchen, counting whatever
He ordains for me to be the very best, for nothing but good can come to those who are wholly
His.


May we always be possessed by the consciousness that we are not our own...Wathman Nee

No comments: