Friday, December 12, 2008

Hope, perserverence and devotion

Chloe Mary Mildred was born on December 10 at 11:32 a.m. and weighed 9 lbs 2oz. She will start growing immediately in both stature and understanding of the world. She has so much to learn...the rain was falling outside our hospital window and so I thought it an opportune time to explain the complexities earth's ecological system which I think she grasps well. There are things that I want her to know and understand then there are things I want to become a part of her...not knowledge but true wisdom.


Rom 12:12 rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer,

Out of the 31,103 verses in the Bible this is the one the has spoken to me today. After Paul loads us up with 11 chapters of doctrine he gets to the application part of our faith and our "reasonable service to God (Rom 12:1)". Each continual action in the verse is part of our everyday Christian life. I pray for my new little girl that she will find much joy in the hope of all that is our Triune God. I know that she will face obstacles and trials in her life and I pray that she will be patient and perservere during those times of molding and shaping her more into the image of Christ. And I pray that she will have such a close relationship with God that she will be in prayer continually, devoted to the One who not only created her but that loves her much more then I ever will.

This is also my hope and prayer for the Bride of Christ...in this uncertain period of history where historical changes take place on a daily basis we have the Rock of Ages. It reminds me of one of the great hymns that was written in 1837 and has needed no changes in over 160 years because it is anchored to the Truth which is Jesus Christ. At the time the writer of the hymn had just started it and gave it to a brother in the church whos wife lay dying. It is reported that this little hymn gave her great comfort in the agony of her condition.

My Hope is Built

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

Chorus

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood,

Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,

Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

No comments: